Thursday, May 21, 2009

One whole week

Wow its been a whole week since Iv posted! Okay I really need to get better at this whole blogging thing. I just get so busy with everything. Between teaching Cheyenne, chasing down Madi, cooking, cleaning, gardening, raising chickens (although admittedly there's not much to that), and spending time with Big Daddy...man I just can't get a spare moment it seems.
Well tonight Im home alone...well not really but Im the only adult in the house until tomorrow afternoon. Iv been extremely productive today. Among all the other daily to do's, Iv also managed to mow the front yard, ditches and build a compost bin. Like this one.
Oh and I made some more laundry detergent. Iv been making my own laundry detergent for about a year now. I love it! I know exactly whats in it and it gets our clothes clean for a fraction of the price of Tide or All or any of that other stuff in the super markets. Here is the recipe that I use, if you google laundry detergent recipes you will come up with many. I have tried 3 different ones now and this is the one that I like most. This is very basic. You can add essential oils to the mix if you want scented soap. Lavender EO is a great one for laundry. Although the batch I made today I used this recipe and no EO. I use vinegar for my fabric softener, just about a 1/4 cup in the rinse cycle does the job. I always have fresh smelling laundry and soft towels.
Okay enough, here's the recipe.

Items you will need:
large pot
measuring cup
wooden spoon or paint stir stick
Borax
Washing Soda (not baking soda)
Fels Naptha (hard to find, but you can get it on the web) or Ivory
2 gallon bucket with lid


Ingredients:
Hot water
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/3 bar Soap (grated) (I've used Fels Naptha and also Ivory)

Instructions:
In a large pot, heat 6 cups of water. Add the grated bar soap and stir over medium/low heat until melted. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat. (this is also when you would add EO to the mix.)
In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 4 cups of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.
Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).

Okay Im off to watch Space Buddies with my daughter. She picked it okay! Later after her bedtime, Im watching Bride Wars, it should be funny.


Blog Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails